Initial configuration of Apps and Books
Apps and Books (formerly VPP) allows you to distribute App Store Apps to your organization’s devices. For more information on adding Apps from Apps and Books, you can read our guide here.
If you have an additional MDM in Apple Business Manager or are in a trial, we recommend setting up a new location for Kandji and integrating that new token. Attempting to share a location token between different MDMs is not recommended and can create undesirable unexpected behavior.
To configure Apps and Books, take the following steps:
- Navigate to Settings in the left-hand navigation bar.
- Select the Apple Integrations tab.
- Click the Configure button inside Apps and Books.
- In Apple Business Manager, navigate to your profile on the bottom-left and select Preferences.
- Click on your name at the bottom of the sidebar, click Preferences, then click Payments and Billing.
- Download your Apps and Books Location Token.
Note: Each Server Token in this list is based on a Location in Apple Business Manager.
- Navigate back to the Kandji Web App and upload your token.
- Click Complete Apps and Books Setup.
Once you have the Apps and Books integration completed, you will have the option to update apps when Kandji detects a new version automatically.
Manually Syncing Apps and Books with Apple Business Manager
Kandji periodically checks for new apps or license changes. If you need to trigger a sync between Kandji and Apple Business Manager immediately, you can use the Sync Now button under the ellipses next to the App Store Apps heading.
Remove Apps and Books (VPP) License
- Navigate to Library then App Store apps and select the app you need to remove the license for.
- Next, click the blue Edit button on the bottom right.
- Lastly, select the drop-down arrow next to Blueprint, then deselect the Blueprint that is associated with the license that needs to be removed and click the blue Save on the bottom right.
Within 5-10 mins of a successful MDM check-in, the application will remove itself from the device’s Applications folder and free up a license to be assigned to a different Blueprint and or device.
For more information on available Kandji integrations, you can read our Integrations Overview.