Kandji has multiple options for setting names for macOS, iPadOS, iOS, and tvOS devices.
Enforce a macOS device name with a Parameter
Kandji has an intelligent parameter that allows you to use device variables and custom text to set and enforce the macOS device name.
- Navigate to Blueprints using the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click the desired Blueprint.
- Click Edit Parameters on the right-hand side.
- Navigate to Network > Computer Name and Localhost Name using the left-hand Parameters navigation menu.
- Drag in any of the device variable options.
- Click Save, and the device name will be enforced on the next agent check-in.
Manually rename a device
macOS, iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS device names can be set directly on the associated device record page.
If you have a parameter set to enforce the macOS device name this will be overwritten during the next agent check-in.
Supervision is required to set the names of iOS, iPadOS, and tvOS devices via MDM command.
- Navigate to a device record.
- Click the Device Actions menu in the upper right corner.
- Click Set Device Name from the action menu.
- Enter a device name into the Set Device Name window.
- Click Set Device Name.
As with all Parameters, it is highly recommended to test before pushing any changes to production Mac devices.