Learn how to create a custom profile to configure the macOS Dock.
After deploying applications to your macOS devices, adding their icons to the dock can make them easier for your users to find. Adding icons to the dock can be accomplished by creating a custom profile.
This process is only recommended for advanced users. We strongly recommended that you thoroughly experiment on test devices before deploying to your production devices.
Download and Install iMazing Profile Editor:
- Navigate to https://imazing.com/profile-editor
- Click "Free Download" or download from the Mac App Store.
- If downloaded directly, open the iMazingProfileEditorMac.dmg and drag iMazing Profile Editor.app to your Applications folder.
Create your Dock Profile:
Once you have iMazing Profile Editor open, follow these steps.
- Select the General domain on the left side.
- Set Name to whatever you would like the profile name to be.
- Set Identifier to a unique string.
- Set Organization to your Organization's name.
- Set Payload Description to describe the profile's purpose.
- Set Payload Scope to System.
- In the upper right-hand search box, search for Dock, and Add Configuration Payload.
- Configure the appropriate options inside of the Dock payload.
9. Navigate to the Menu Bar and click File > Save.
10. Select a save location and Save your profile.
If deploying via Kandji, there is no need to sign the profile. Kandji will sign it when it is deployed.
Add your Custom Profile Library Item
- Click Library from the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click Add New on the top right-hand side.
- Click Custom Profile.
- Click Add & Configure.
Upload your Custom Dock Profile to Kandji
- Give your profile a Name.
- Select a Blueprint from the Blueprint Assignment dropdown.
- Set your Device family to Mac.
- Drag and drop your dock profile to upload it.
- Save your custom profile.
The devices enrolled in the selected Blueprints will display the customized Dock after their next check in with Kandji.