Deploy and update commonly used applications to your Mac fleet with Auto Apps.
Auto Apps are common pre-packaged applications ready to be instantly deployed through the Kandji Web App. Kandji also automatically allow these applications for Notifications, Privacy Preferences Policy Control & Kernel Extensions. Additionally, Kandji can manage and enforce updates for these applications. For more information, see our list of available Auto Apps.
Adding an Auto App
- Click Library from the left-hand navigation bar.
- Click Add New from the right-hand side. Inside the 'Add Library Item' page, scroll down to view and select your desired Auto App. For this example, we used the Cisco Webex Meetings Auto App.
- Click Add & Configure.
Configuring an Auto App
- Select a Blueprint from the Assignment dropdown.
- Select an option from the Version Enforcement dropdown. Your options include:
- Don't enforce new updates.
- Automatically enforce new updates.
- Manually enforce new updates.
- If you selected automatically enforce new updates, select an Enforcement Timeframe option. Updates will cache and your end-users will begin getting prompted to update 5 days prior to the enforcement deadline.
- Select an Enforcement Time Zone this time zone will be used to determine when to enforce the update.
- Select an Enforcement Time this will be the exact time of day that the update is enforced, the enforcement will be determined server-side based on the previously selected Enforcement Time Zone.
- Optionally add the item to the dock during install.
- Click Save.
To learn best practices on moving from a Custom App to an Auto App please see this article
To learn more about Auto App settings, please see this article.
Other Important facts about Kandji Auto Apps
- All Auto Apps will automatically install a profile via MDM to allow the application for notifications.
- If an Auto App will install a profile to allow Kernel Extensions or Privacy Preferences Policy Control services, there will be a warning display in the Kandji Web App.
- When leveraging update enforcement, end-users will begin receiving update alerts via the Kandji Menu bar icon starting 5 days before the enforcement deadline.
End-User Experience with Auto Apps
Since Auto Apps have the potential to notify end-users of available updates, it is important to understand what the end-user may experience.
End-users will receive a banner notification starting 5 days before the enforcement deadline.
The banner notification has available actions:
- Learn More: The Kandji Menu App will open to the Update Info page.
- Remind in 1 hour: The end user will receive the banner notification again in 1 hour.
- Remind Tomorrow: The banner notification will be hidden for 1 day before the end-user is prompted again.
App Can't Be Opened: The end-user will receive a banner notification if an update is in progress and they attempt to open the app.
Updating Auto Apps inside the Kandji Menu Bar App
End-users will notice that the Kandji Menu Bar App has a red dot indicating an action is required. This indicator will begin to appear 5 days prior to the Enforcement Deadline.
When clicking on the Kandji Menu Bar App dropdown, end-users will see a list of available updates. Clicking on an update will show the Update Info page. Users can additionally select the Update All button to install all pending updates.
The update will be visible in the Kandji Menu Bar App starting 5 days prior to the enforcement deadline.
Start Updates: Once an end-user clicks the Update All button from the Kandji, they will be presented with a confirmation window to start the updates now. Clicking Start Now will forcibly close all pending apps.
Update Info: Once an end-user clicks the Learn More option from the banner action menu,
or if an end-user clicks an individual update, they will be presented with the update information and the option to start the update immediately.
Install in Progress: After an end-user starts an update via the Kandji Menu Bar App they will be shown the following Install in Progress window.
Update Complete: After an end-user starts an update via the Kandji Menu Bar App and that installation completes, they will see the following Installation Complete window.
Kandji will forcibly close an app once the update is initiated by the end-user. Kandji will also prevent the app from being opened during the update.
Enforcement Deadline Reached
Once the Enforcement Deadline is reached, Kandji will silently update the app. If the Application is open, the Kandji Menu Bar App will open, displaying a 5-minute countdown that the apps in question need to be closed. If the apps are not closed by the end of the countdown Kandji will forcibly close the apps. If the apps are closed prior to the end of the countdown the updates will start immediately.